There are six parts:
I. The history preceding the ministry of Christ, in which are:
1. A description of the person and office of Christ.
2. The conception of John and of Christ.
3. The nativity of John.
4. The nativity of Jesus Christ.
5. The genealogy of Christ.
6. The coming of the Magi; the flight and return of Christ.
7. The education and progress of Christ.
II. The commencement of Christ’s ministry, from His baptism to the first Passover, in which are:
1. The ministry of John.
2. The baptism of Christ.
3. Preparation for His ministry through temptation.
4. The testimony of John concerning Christ.
5. The beginning of Christ’s preaching in Galilee.
6. The calling of the disciples.
7. The first miracle wrought in Cana of Galilee.
III. The history of the first Passover, or of the first year after the initial half-year, in which are:
1. The journey from Galilee to Judea, and the many things conducted there.
2. The return from Judea to Galilee, and the many things conducted there.