Heidegger's Bible Handbook: 1 Peter: Interpreters
HOLY FATHERS: Clement of Alexandria.
REFORMED: Ames, Bibliander, Laurentius, Christian Schotanus, Hessels, Breitinger, Antonides. English: Alley, Byfield, Nisbet, Rogers, Adams, Smith, Dickson.
LUTHERAN: Gerhard, Hegendorff, Luther, Major, Selnecker, Weller, Winkelmann, Veiel.
ROMAN CATHOLIC: Fevardentius, Falengius, Johannes de Lovanio.
 William Ames (1576-1633) was taught by William Perkins and Paul Bayne. Because of his strict Puritan views, he departed from England for Holland. At the Synod of Dort, Ames served as adviser to Johannes Bogerman, the synod’s president. Later, he was appointed as a professor at Franeker (1622). His Medulla Theologiæ was heavily influential throughout the Reformed world.  Theodore Bibliander (1509-1564) was a Swiss reformer and orientalist. He served as Professor of Hebrew at Zurich (1532-1560). Bibliander was widely esteemed among the Reformed for his abilities in Hebrew and Arabic, and for his comments on the Old Testament, but he was dismissed from his teaching post after he ran into controversy with Peter Vermigili over Predestination.  Christian Schotanus (1603-1671) was a Reformed pastor, theologian, and philologist. At Franeker, he served first as Professor of Greek (1639-1644), and then as Professor of Theology (1644-1671). He wrote a Hebrew Grammar and an Old Testament History.  William Alley (1512-1571) was an English Reformer, and served as Bishop of Exeter under Queen Elizabeth. His exposition of 1 Peter was published in The Poor Man’s Library.  Alexander Nisbet (1623-1669) was a Covenanting minister. He suffered ejection in 1662, and died shortly thereafter, but he left behind commentaries on Ecclesiastes and 1 and 2 Peter.  John Rogers (c. 1570-1636) was an English Puritan minister, remembered as a powerful and popular preacher. He served as lecturer of Dedham, Essex.  Elias Veiel (1635-1706) was a German Lutheran theologian.  Johannes de Lovanio (died 1438) founded the monastery of the Canons Regular of Saint Jerome in Roermond (Netherlands).