I. Concerning faith in Christ, with Antichrist set in opposition to Him.
II. Concerning true piety and love. These duties are treated here a little and there a little, chapters 1-5.
1. Concerning Christ, the true light, communion with Him, chapter 1.
2. Concerning propitiation through Christ, the marks of faith, obedience and love, Antichrist and the love of the world, chapter 2.
3. Concerning the privileges acquired by Christ, the office of believers, chapter 3.
4. Concerning the proving of spirits, the love of God and one’s neighbor, chapter 4.
5. Concerning the use of faith in Christ, and the avoidance of idolatry, chapter 5.