There are three parts to this Book:
I. The History of the persecution of the Israelites in Egypt: chapters 1-12: in which is:
1. The persecution and servitude of the people: chapter 1.
2. Preparation for their liberation and exodus: chapters 2-12: in which is:
a. The instrument of their liberation, Moses, of whom is narrated
α. The birth: chapter 2.
β. The calling: chapter 3.
γ. The obedience: chapter 4, 5.
δ. The second calling: chapter 6.
b. The actions of Moses, the ten plagues:
α. 1. The conversion of water into blood: chapter 7.
β. 2. Of frogs. 3. Of lice. 4. Of insects: chapter 8.
γ. 5. Of pestilence. 6. Of boils. 7. Of hail: chapter 9.
δ. 8. Of the locusts. 9. Of darkness: chapter 10.
ε. 10. Of the smiting of the firstborn threatened: chapter 11.
ζ. The same inflicted. The institution of the Passover: chapter 12:1-33.
II. The History of their liberation and Exodus: chapters 12:34-19:25: in which is:
1. The departure unto Succoth: chapter 12:34-51.
2. Commandments in Succoth, and the arrival in Etham: chapter 13.
3. Crossing of the Red Sea: chapter 14.
4. The Victory Song of Moses, and the journey toward Marah and Elim: chapter 15.
5. Their coming unto Sin, and the sending of the Manna and Quail: chapter 16.
6. Their coming unto Rephidim, the rock abounding in water, the fight with Amalek: chapter 17.
7. The counsel of Jethro: chapter 18.
III. The History of the Mosaic Legislation: chapters 19-40: in which is:
1. Their coming unto Sinai, and the appearance of God: chapter 19.
2. The Legislation, in which is the promulgation of
a. The Decalogue: chapter 20.
b. Various judicial laws: chapters 21-23.
c. Various mixed laws: chapter 24.
3. The sanctioning of the Legislation, with the covenant erected, and a fast declared: chapter 24.
4. Laws concerning worship and sacred things: chapters 25-31: in which is:
a. A delineation of the ark, table, and candlestick: chapter 25.
b. The laver, the beams: chapter 26.
c. The altar, the courtyard: chapter 27.
d. The dress of the Priest: chapter 28.
e. The initiation of the Priests: chapter 29.
f. The altar of incense, the levy, the oil: chapter 30.
g. The builders, the Sabbath: chapter 31.
5. The Legislation interrupted by sin, in which is:
a. The worship of the calf and the zeal of Moses: chapter 32.
b. The repentance of the people: chapter 33.
c. New tables, and the shining of Moses: chapter 34.
6. Repetition of certain laws: chapter 35.
7. Execution of the commandment concerning the tabernacle: chapters 35-40: in which is:
a. A census: chapter 35.
b. The building of the tabernacle: chapter 36.
c. The ark of testimony, and the incense: chapter 37.
d. The altar of burnt-offering, and the sum of the contributions: chapter 38.
e. The preparation of the vestments of the Priest: chapter 39.
f. The erection of the tabernacle, and the appearance of God: chapter 40.