The Parts of the book are:
I. The History of Eli, Chapters 1-4: in which are:
1. Samuel’s nativity: chapter 1.
2. Hannah’s song: chapter 2.
3. Samuel’s calling: chapter 3.
4. Eli’s ruin: chapter 4.
II. The History of Samuel, Chapters 5-12: in which are:
1. Dagon’s ruin: chapter 5.
2. The Ark’s return; the slaughter of the men of Beth-shemesh: chapter 6.
3. The slaughter of the Philistines, and the tranquility of the people: chapter 7.
4. The inauguration of Saul: chapters 8-12: in which are:
a. The request for a King, and the law of the Kingdom: chapter 8.
b. Saul’s asses, and his designation to the Kingdom: chapter 9.
c. Saul’s inauguration: chapter 10.
d. His victory over Nahash: chapter 11.
e. Samuel’s resignation: chatper 12.
III. The History of Saul, Chapters 13-31: in which are:
1. Saul’s prosperous affairs: chapters 13, 14: in which are:
a. War against the Philistines, and Saul’s sacrifice: chapter 13.
b. Victory over the Philistines: chapter 14.
2. The rejection of Saul, sparing Amalek: chapter 15.
3. David’s inauguration, and the matters conducted before the death of Saul: chapters 16-27: in which are:
a. The anointing of David: chapter 16.
b. David’s fight with Goliath: chapter 17.
c. His adverse matters: chapters 18-27: in which are:
α. David’s exile; his covenant with Jonathan: chapter 18.
His flight: chapter 19.
His friendship with Jonathan: chapter 20.
The showbread and Doeg: chapters 21, 22.
β. The persecution of David, in which are:
The liberation of Keilah: chapter 23.
Saul in the cave: chapter 24.
The inhumanity of Nabal: chapter 25.
The betrayal of the Ziphites: chapter 26.
Flight to Achish: chapter 27.
4. Saul’s final things and ruin: chapters 28-31: in which are:
a. The desperation of Saul, consulting the Witch: chapter 28.
b. The pitching of the Philistines at Aphek, and David rejected by the Philistines: chapter 29.
c. David’s victory over the Amalekites burning Ziklag: chapter 30.
d. Saul’s αὐτοχειρία/suicide: chapter 31.