SYNOPTIC TABLE OF THE BOOK OF NUMBERS
There are three general parts to this book:
I. Preparation for the departure from mount Sinai: chapters 1-10: in which are:
1. A census of the people: chapters 1-4.
a. Human, in which is
α. A numbering of the people: chapter 1.
β. The order and situation of the camps: chapter 2.
b. Sacred, that is,
α. The Levitical families: chapter 3.
β. The services of the Aaronites: chapter 4.
2. Laws set forth concerning certain persons: chapters 5-8.
α. Concerning the unclean and jealousy: chapter 5.
β. Concerning the Nazirites: chapter 6.
α. Concerning the oblations of the Princes: chapter 7.
β. Concerning the consecration of the Levites: chapter 8.
3. The twofold manner: chapters 9, 10.
a. Concerning the celebration of the Passover and departures: chapter 9.
b. Concerning the indication of their assemblies: chapter 10.
II. The journey from Sinai unto the land of Moab: chapters 11-21: in which are eight murmurings.
1. The first on account of the weariness of the journey: chapter 11:1-3.
2. The second on account of the tedium of the Manna: chapter 11:4-35.
3. Of Aaron and Miriam: chapter 12.
4. The fourth in Kadesh, in which is
a. Its cause, the report of the spies: chapter 13.
b. The punishment of the faintheartedness of the people: chapter 14.
c. The reconciliation attested by miscellaneous laws: chapter 15.
5. The fifth of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram against the priesthood of Aaron: chapter 16:1-40.
6. The sixth, on account of the preceding punishment: chapters 16:41-21:35.
a. The murmuring itself: chapter 16:41-50.
b. The miracle of the rod of Aaron for the confirmation of his priesthood: chapter 17.
c. The duties and the priests and the tithes: chapter 18.
d. The laws concerning the sacrifice of the red heifer: chapter 19.
7. The seventh, on account of the want of water; the unbelief of Moses; the perfidy of Edom and the death of Aaron: chapter 20.
8. The eighth, on account of the want of food and drink, punished by the serpents: chapter 21.
III. Preparation for the occupation of the inheritance of the land, and a part occupied: chapters 22-36: in which is:
1. The disposition of the heir themselves: chapters 22-30.
a. The hostility of Balak, employing Balaam: chapter 22.
b. The prophetic blessing of Balaam: chapter 23.
c. The continuation of the same: chapter 24.
d. The harlotry of the people with the Moabites: chapter 25.
e. The numbering of the people repeated: chapter 26.
f. Law concerning the heirs themselves, and the inauguration of Joshua: chapter 27.
g. Law concerning the continual sacrifice, etc.: chapter 28.
h. Laws concerning the sacrifices of the Day of Atonement in the seventh month: chapter 29.
i. Laws concerning vows: chapter 30.
2. The occupation of part of the inheritance: chapters 31, 32: in which is:
a. The slaughter of the Midianites: chapter 31.
b. The casting of lots for the two and a half tribes: chapter 32.
3. Review of the stations in the desert: chapter 33.
4. Political laws concerning the inheritance of the land of Canaan: chapters 34-36: in which is:
a. The division of the land of Canaan: chapter 34.
b. Law concerning Asylum cities: chapter 35.
c. Law concerning not mixing the tribes: chapter 36.