The parts of the book are:
I. The history of the Elders, and of those things that happened with them deceased, chapters 1:1-3:7: in which are:
1. The matters conducted by the tribe of Judah: chapter 1.
2. The disobedience and repentance of the people: chapter 2.
3. The Nations left in the land, and the defection of the people: chapter 3:1-7.
II. The history of six oppressions and as many deliverances, chapters 3:8-16:31: in which are:
1. The oppression by Chushan, and the deliverance through Othniel: chapter 3:8-11.
2. The oppression by Eglon, and the deliverance through Ehud: chapter 3:12-31.
3. The oppression by Jabin, in which are:
a. The oppression itself, and the deliverance through Deborah: chapter 4.
b. The victory song of Deborah: chapter 5.
4. The oppression by Midian: chapters 6:1-10:5: in which are:
a. The oppression itself, and the calling of Gideon: chapter 6.
b. The deliverance through Gideon: chapter 7.
c. The continuation of the victory, and the idolatry of Gideon: chapter 8.
d. The tyranny of Abimelech, and the parable of Jotham: chapter 9.
e. The judgeship of Tola: chapter 10:1-5.
5. Oppression by the Philistines: chapters 10:6-12:15: in which are:
a. The oppression and repentance of the people: chapter 10:6-18.
b. The deliverance through Jephthah, and his vow: chapter 11.
c. The massacre of the Ephraimites: chapter 12.
6. Oppression by the Philistines: chapters 13-16.
a. The oppression itself: chapter 13:1.
b. The deliverance through Samson, in which are:
α. The birth of Samson: chapter 13:2-25.
β. His strength and marriage: chapter 14.
γ. The little foxes and the jawbone: chapter 15.
δ. Imprisonment and death: chapter 16.
III. Two specimens of the corruption of the people, chapters 17-21: in which are:
1. The first specimen, the Idolatry of Micah: chapters 17, 18: in which are:
a. The Idolatry of Micah, and the Anarchy of the people: chapter 17.
b. The Idolatry of the Danites: chapter 18.
2. The second specimen, the Whoredom of the Gibeonites: chapters 19-21: in which are:
a. The forcing of the concubine by the Gibeonites: chapter 19.
b. Vengeance upon the Benjamites: chapter 20.
c. The carrying off of the Virgins: chapter 21.