Where Does the Study of the Old Testament Fit in the Foundation?
Is the Old Testament really about Jesus Christ?
Old Testament Survey:
The Promise of the Messiah
To many ... even Evangelical Christians ... the Old Testament is little more than the laws, history, traditions, and customs of a people long dead. Consequently, the Old Testament is read and studied with little enthusiasm.
However, the Lord Jesus Christ, the Great Teacher of the Church, tells us that the Old Testament is ultimately about Himself--His suffering for sin, His victory over the grave, and the publication of His glorious salvation to the world (Luke 24:44-47). Now, that is something about which every Christian heart can be excited!
Is this true? Can it be that the Old Testament is really all about our precious Savior?
Join us as we survey the Old Testament together, learning to see Christ in all.
Structure of the Course
1. This is a 40-week class.
2. The class will meet online (using gotomeeting), Tuesday nights from 7 to 8 pm (EST), for teaching and interactive discussion. This will be the backbone of the course; we will do our best to create a community of learners, a fellowship of disciples.
If you are not able to meet at that time, don't despair. The classes will be recorded.
3. It is recommended that you work your way through Johann Heinrich Heidegger's Handbook of the Bible. [You can learn more about Heidegger here, and his Handbook here.] Although this reading is not absolutely necessary for understanding and profiting from the lectures, for this little bit of reading, you will get much more out of the course. Highly recommended!
4. A Biblical-Theological Introduction to the Old Testament (edited by Van Pelt) is also quite good, and is a fine complement to Heidegger's work.
5. Other resources will be recommended as we proceed.
6. The first class will meet on Tuesday, July 24, at 7 pm (EST).
7. If you are interested in participating, please contact Dr. Dilday at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is important: There is a limit to the number of students that may attend, so reserve your space right away!
8. This course is offered without cost. "Freely we have received; freely we give" (Matthew 10:8). However, this ministry is user supported (Luke 10:7), so donations are welcome and appreciated, and this course has a recommended donation of $10 per class week.
Donations can be made through Paypal.
May the Most High God open our eyes to see our Jesus on the Sacred Pages. Amen.