The parts of the Book are:
I. The history of the occupation of the land, chapters 1-12; in which are,
1. The preparation for the occupation of the land of Canaan, chapters 1-5; in which are,
a. The calling and confirmation of Joshua: chapter 1.
b. The spies sent: chapter 2.
c. The crossing of Jordan: chapter 3.
d. The erection of the stones: chapter 4.
e. Circumcision; the Appearance of the man: chapter 5.
2. The occupation of the land, chapters 6-12; in which are,
a. The capture of Jericho: chapter 6.
b. Ai reconnoitered: chapter 7. Ai captured: chapter 8.
c. The stratagem of the Gibeonites: chapter 9.
d. War against the Kings of Canaan, with the Sun standing still: chapter 10.
e. War against Jabin and his confederates: chapter 11.
f. Enumeration of the victories: chapter 12.
II. The division of the occupied land, Chapters 13-22; in which are,
1. The general division: chapter 13.
2. The particular division on the near side of Jordan: chapters 14-20: in which are,
a. Caleb’s portion: chapter 14.
b. The lot of Judah: chapter 15.
c. The lot of Ephraim: chapter 16.
d. The lot of Manasseh: chapter 17.
e. The lot of Benjamin: chapter 18.
f. The lot of the six remaining tribes: chapter 19.
3. The separation of certain cities, in which are,
a. The institution of the cities of refuge: chapter 20.
b. The cities of the Levites: chapter 21.
4. The departure of the three and a half tribes, and the rising of a the quarrel: chapter 22.
III. The dying sermons of Joshua, chapters 23, 24; in which are,
1. An assembly of the people: chapter 23.
2. The assembly in Shechem, and the speech of Joshua: chapter 24:1-28.
3. The death of Joshua: chapter 24:29-33.